Wednesday, May 17, 2017

#DBlogWeek Day 3: the Blame Game



The Blame Game...part of my job at the American Diabetes Association, when I am not actively serving as Camp Director is Community Health Strategist. This involves going to health fairs put on by companies, schools, and hospitals in the community. A few months ago I attended a health fair at a big Cincinnati company. I set up my table with Type 2 Risk tests, Pre Diabetes fliers, diabetes statistics, recipe cards, healthy food options and what a healthy plate looks like.

The employees filed in and each of them were given a card that the vendor checks off and in turn they return to the company for a prize. I am stationed between Girls on the Run and Green Bean Delivery. I brought ADA sunglasses so at least I had something fun to give away because who really wants to stop by the ADA booth? What fun is it to talk about diabetes?

A few things I observed.

  • The employees who were Type 1 came by and we talked about their insulin regime, camp, initial diagnosis, how long they've had diabetes and I always let them know about my girls. We talked about upcoming Tour deCure and Stop Diabetes Walk opportunities and thanked them for stopping by. Overall tone of "diabetes sucks but nice to meet you and have a great day!"
  • The employees who were Type 2 spoke in hushed tones. They told me of their struggles and/or successes. They talked about their care from their primary care physician, asked medical questions. Overall tone of "diabetes sucks and I am ashamed that I have it". 
  • The employees who had a loved one with Type 2 and felt the need to take the materials I had brought so they could strategically place them around the house. Overall tone of "I mean well...but I know what's best and leaving these fliers around the house will make my love one instantly take better care of themselves". Ugh...if only they knew it doesn't work that way! 
  • The employees who would skit by laughing and say "I'm not there yet!" What?! Who wants to be "there"? Overall tone: Diabetes was inevitable...so sad. 
I tried to encourage that afternoon. I listened and shook my head when necessary but at the end of the day I felt sad. Sad that there is so much stigma attached with Type 2. So much blame from well meaning people but they just don't get "it". 

We need to stop the blame game. Blaming others isn't going to help anything. It won't stop diabetes. It won't cure diabetes. It just alienates the person with diabetes and makes them feel shameful. We need to lift each other up. We need to encourage and understand that diabetes isn't easy. We need to offer to listen to our friends and family when they vent about how hard it is to take care of diabetes. We need to walk alongside them in their journey with diabetes; not be a know-it-all; holier than thou; judgmental "friend". Diabetes is HARD!! Let's stop the blaming and start the liberating! Let's work together!

2 comments:

  1. Such an interesting perspective! Thanks for sharing. It's sad to hear about the Type 2s and their families :(. So much stigma out there still!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this post because there is so much blame and shame when it comes to diabetes - particularly Type 2, but all the others are often lumped into that as well. It is a vicious cycle because it makes the diabetic feel worse about their condition and then they probably have less successful outcomes. In some cultures, they will not even disclose to family they are diabetic.. more shame.. In some cases, young women feel they will not be suitable for marriage even.. I would love for this attitude and cultural stigma to be a thing of the past!

    ReplyDelete