Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Our Journey with J...a multi post about fostering a child with chronic illness

Memorial Day weekend 2018 would've marked one year that Jay had come to live with us.

If you are looking for a happy ending you won't find it at the end of this chronicle. In the end it was the ending that was to be...but it's not rainbows and unicorns.

The Beginning: 


I was a camp director for a local diabetes camp for several years. It was a wonderful job that I loved. I enjoyed talking with newly diagnosed families and how much camp would benefit their child. How scary it was to hand your child over for a full week but how necessary it was for everyone. As your child needed to meet kids going through life like they were and parents just needed a break from the D life. I enjoyed interviewing the staff each year. I loved seeing campers grow into counselors who then grow into careers in the medical field and come back to camp to serve as medical staff. I loved getting to know the medical staff outside of our endocrinologist department...how much they truly love their jobs and the kids! I loved seeing the kids come in on a Sunday; sometimes scared other times happy; and then learn a new diabetes skill. I watched a camper give herself her first insulin injection (supervised!) and other campers try new insulin pump sites. The smiles on their faces made my day..they were so proud of their accomplishments!

But then the paperwork...that I could do without. There was a TON!!

Registration opened in February and families couldn't wait to sign their kids back up for camp. This particular camp would sell out each year so it was imperative for parents/guardians to get paperwork in to secure their child's spot at camp for the year. As camp director I have to look at all the paperwork that comes in from a camper. So not only additional medical issues but mental and behavioral issues.

There was one camper that I had grown quite fond of over the years. In my first year as camp director I noticed she had been placed in foster care as her mother wouldn't take care of her diabetes. As a mom of two T1D girls I couldn't imagine NOT taking care of them...I mean, sure, I would love a break but to actually not take care of them?! I didn't know that was an option. This particular camper had been placed in the cabin with my eldest daughter who served as a counselor over the years. This camper had a smile that would light up a room and was just loud and fun. We always enjoyed seeing her year after year.

In 2017 after looking at her paperwork I see that she had been hospitalized for suicidal thoughts. It sadden me. I remember thinking,"not sweet J"...that this stupid chronic illness had taken its toll on yet another one (and mental health and chronic illness is a whole different post)...in further review I noticed that she had been actually living at the hospital. I knew her Court Appointed Social Advocate, or CASA, over the years so I inquired as to what had happened. 

In talking with the CASA she shared that she had been at foster family number 2 and had some issues with self harming. It freaked out the foster family; as it does anyone dealing with kids who self harm. They had taken necessary precautions but in the end Jay landed in the psychiatric ward at the local children's hospital. At the time of my contact with her CASA; she had already been there for 8 weeks as they couldn't find placement for a Type 1 diabetic who self harmed and had suicidal thoughts.

I was heart broken...I knew this girl.

I felt helpless.

Later that night I went to run with my running group and shared my work day with my friend. After I was finished telling her my story she said, "what are you going to do?"

I replied, "nothing! What can I do?!"

She would later share with me that she knew I was going to do something.

I went home from my run and was greeted by my husband who asked how my day was...I blurted out; "want to foster one of my camp kids?" without hesitation he replied, "yes". I asked if he wanted to hear the story and he said, "no need to; someone needs our help."

And thus began Our Journey with J.


No comments:

Post a Comment