Sunday, January 1, 2017

What I love to do...

One of the things I have always loved to do is write. Even when I was younger I would keep journals. I was a writer for our community paper in junior high and would share album reviews in the paper at college. As life moves along and I became busy with marriage, kids and chronic illness I didn't even think about writing. But as I found myself at home dealing with a newborn in 2008 with a bleeding disorder I found some solace in reading others blogs. 

I found my voice. 

I began writing for the Blue Heel Society and sharing my perspective and thoughts about diabetes (collectively with 3 fabulous people in the diabetes community). I was also able to share my story when our eldest was diagnosed. I then began writing for Captain Jackson's Hemophilia Adventures and sharing my perspective and thoughts about bleeding disorders. I found great stress relief in pounding on my keyboard. My mind was full of random thoughts and feelings that needed to get out and writing helped me do that. I also wanted to make sure that others in both communities never felt alone. But, life happens. The kids got older. I started working day shifts. I just didn't have time to write. 

I missed it. 

Mindlessly scrolling through Facebook the other day I saw a calendar that Jerry Seinfeld used to help motivate him to write daily. I LOVED it. I thought it would be a great challenge for me. Kinda the "put it on the calendar like an appointment and you're more apt to do it" philosophy. So in the final hours of 1-1-17 I'm submitting my first blog entry of the year. Here's to a successful writing year! 


No comments:

Post a Comment